Frequently Asked Questions - Motorcycle Training

How do I get started?

A valid Irish Learner Permit / Provisional License required before taking any motorcycle training or test.

The Theory test
Before you can take any motorcycle training, you will have to take and pass the theory test for motorcycles; this will still apply even if you have full entitlements of other category (Car, HGV, Coach or P.S.V). Please visit for further information. We suggest you to buy the latest edition of the Theory Test CD and do as many mock tests before attempting to do the actual test.

Do I need to do a motorcycle theory test before I can take an IBT course?
Yes, your IBT training certificate should indicate your learner permit number and your IBT instructor will not train you without a proper learner permit for insurance purposes and health and safety issues

What if I have already passed a theory test for another type of vehicle? i.e. Car, HGV, Coach or PSV do I have to take it again?
Yes every type of licence category requires a theory test relevant to the vehicle that the test is being taken on.

I have a full car licence, what can I ride?
If your licence was issued before October 2006, then you can ride a 50cc moped, capable of not more than 30mph. Strangely enough, you will not need to display L plates, and you can carry a passenger if the motorcycle has a passenger seat and rear footrests. If you want to ride a motorcycle of over 50cc, up to 125cc, you must pass your theory test to obtain a learner permit and take Initial Basic Training (IBT), you must display L plates, and you must not carry passengers.

What if my full car licence was issued after October 2006?
Then you will need to pass your theory test to obtain a learner permit and take Initial Basic Training (IBT), you must display L plates, and you must not carry passengers. take Initial Basic training (IBT). Once you have completed this course, you will be able to ride a 50cc moped and you will also be able to ride a motorcycle of up to 25kw or 33bhp with L plates (no passengers allowed).

I have a full car licence, do I need to do a theory test and take IBT to get a full motorcycle licence?
Yes. Everyone must take a motorcycle theory test and IBT before they can take the motorcycle practical test.

With the new change of law in testing is it now much harder to pass the motorcycle test?
No, here at Comfort, we ensure that all of our training courses are tailored to your individual needs, our motorcycle training courses are in line with the Road Safety Authority recommendation that all training should be "modular, structured training over a period of time", this means you can learn comfortably at you own pace & also spread the cost as well.

I have a learner permit issued after Dec 6, 2010, what can I ride?
With a learner permit, you are not allowed to ride on the road until you have completed Initial Basic Training. Once you have completed the course you can ride a 50cc moped if your 16, or if you are 17 years old or over, with category A1 on your learner permit,  you can ride a learner legal motorcycle up to 125cc; If you are over 18 you could ride up to 25kw or 33bhp.  You will also have to display L plates at all times, and you are not allowed to carry pillion passengers or travel on motorways. Your IBT certificate will only be valid for 2 years, so you will need to renew it, or go on to take your full licence before it expires.

I just want to ride a small motorbike, around 250cc, what do I need to do?
To ride a bike up to a power limit of 33 BHP or 25KWH, you will need to complete motorcycle theory test for category A and IBT certificate.

I want to ride a big bike, around 600cc, but I've not passed my full motorcycle test. Is there anything I can do?
Yes! If you over 18 years old you can take the restricted bike route. You will need to start with a licence showing provisional or learner permit Category A, then you need to pass the Aon or Quinn Insurance skills assessment done and your insurance company will insure your bike with certain level they require, which entitles you to ride any SIZE motorcycle, provided it does not produce more than 33bhp, or 25kw. Many larger motorcycles can be restricted to this power limit, and the good news is that once you have held a full A licence for 2 years, regardless of your age) it automatically becomes a full, unrestricted (A) licence and you can ride any motorcycle you fancy.

I took my IBT on a 50cc moped when I was 16 years old. I'm now 17 and I would like to ride a 125cc bike. What do I need to do?
First, check that your licence shows Category A1 provisional. If so, you can ride a 125cc machine for as long as your IBT certificate lasts. If your licence doesn't have Category A showing, you will need to apply to your Licensing Authority. Once you have got your licence back, you will be able to ride a 125cc machine until your IBT certificate expires.

I took my full licence test on an automatic scooter. Can I ride a motorcycle with clutch and gears?
A full licence taken on a motorcycle with automatic transmission will only act as a provisional licence for manual bikes, so you will be limited to automatic only, until you pass a Practical test on a motorcycle with manual transmission.

I'm 16 years old, and I've completed my IBT. Is there a test I can do to ride a bigger bike?
No. You can take a full Moped test, by first passing the theory and then the moped practical test. You would then be entitled to ride without L plates, and carry a passenger, but you would still be limited to 50cc and 50 KPH.

I have a provisional licence, issued a few years ago. Will I need to change it or renew it before I start training for a Motorcycle Licence?
Probably yes! Many older provisional licences had a 2 year limit on Category A, motorcycle entitlement. The good news is that the 2 year limit no longer applies, but you MUST have it renewed by your local Licensing Authority if it has expired, otherwise you will not be able to ride anything bigger than a 50cc moped, even if you have a valid IBT Certificate. Most of the Local Licensing Authorities usually take about 3 weeks to issue a licence.

My provisional / learner permit was issued prior to Dec. 6, 2010, Do I have to complete IBT? No, you are exempted from IBT but we'll always suggest that any motorcycle rider to take some sort of formal training before attempting ride on public roads.